What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Monday, February 20, 2012

Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies

Ingredients:
Wafer:
1 15.25-oz package fudge cake mix *
2 1/2 T. shortening, melted
1/2 c. cake flour, measured then sifted
1 egg
2 1/2 T. water
nonstick cooking spray, for cookie sheet

Chocolate coating:
3 10-oz bags semi-sweet chocolate chips
5/8 t. peppermint extract
5 T. shortening

*I used Betty Crocker's Chocolate Fudge cake mix. Thought about the triple chocolate fudge though.

Recipe:
1. Combine the cookie ingredients in a large bowl, adding the water a little bit at a time until the dough forms.*
2. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out a portion of the dough to just under 1/16 of an inch thick.
5. To cut, use a lid from a spice container with a 1 1/2-inch diameter. **
6. Arrange the cut dough rounds on a cookie sheet that is sprayed with a light coating of non-stick spray. ***
7. Bake for 10 minutes.
8. Remove the wafers from the oven and cool completely.
9. To make the coating, combine chocolate chips with peppermint extract and shortening in a large microwave-safe glass or ceramic bowl. ****
10. Heat on 50% power for 2 minutes, stir gently, then heat for an additional minute. Stir once again, and if chocolate is not a smooth consistency, continue to zap in microwave in 30-second intervals until smooth.
11. Use a fork to dip each wafer in the chocolate, tap the fork on the edge of the bowl so that the excess chocolate runs off and then place the cookies side by side on a wax paper lined baking sheet.
12. Refrigerate until firm.

*You'll be tempted to add more water, but don't! The dough will be a dry and clumpy dough when everything has been mixed through. Form into a ball before covering and chilling.
** Really, it doesn't matter how small or big the diameter is. The 1 1/2-inch diameter is to replicate the Girl Scout look. If you go with the 1 1/2-inch, then you will come out with about 90 cookies. My cookies had about 2-2.5-inch diameter and I came out with about 45ish (and some of them were definitely thicker than 1/16-inch).
*** I just lay down parchment paper instead of using the cooking spray.
**** I have a terribly hard time getting my chocolate to the right consistency in the microwave, so I just do it on the stove top. If you don't have a double boiler, no fret, just make sure you watch the chocolate and don't burn or overheat it. I melt the shortening first, add the peppermint extract, and then stir handfuls of chips at a time until everything is melted and smooth.

Rating: 5 of 5
Seriously, how bad can a thin mint be? This recipe pretty much nails the Girl Scout cookie. That's a great thing and a bad thing....if you know what I mean. Don't let dipping the cookies scare you. It's not that hard. This is, really, a pretty easy recipe. And, hey!, it's a cookie that I made and didn't burn! Success!

Source: Food.com, Girl Scout Thin Mints

1 comment: