What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Southwest Chipotle Burgers


Ingredients:
Burgers:
1 1/2 lb. ground chuck or ground sirloin *
1-1/2 chipotle peppers canned in adobo sauce**
1 1/2 T. adobo sauce (from the chipotle chili can)
1/4 c. grated onion ***
1 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. cumin
1 1/2 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. pepper

* I used just 1 lb ground beef. It's what I had on hand
** I've learned from experience that I can't quite handle all the heat a whole pepper brings to the plate, so I just eliminated the pepper.
*** Used my old stand-by of dried chopped oinon

Chipotle-Lime Mayo:
1/2 c. mayo
2 t. lime juice
1 1/2 t. adobo sauce (from the canned chipotle chilis)
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro *

* I actually rarely measure out the cilantro. I usually add a bit more than called for because we LOVE the taste of cilantro.

4-6 good quality buns (try this recipe!)
1 tomato
1-2 avocado
lettuce
jack, cotija, or queso fresco cheese *

* We just used medium cheddar

Recipe:
1. Start by making the sauce. Place may, adobo sauce, lime juice and cilantro in a small bowl. Stir all together. Cover and set in the fridge.
2. Now place the beef in a bowl and gently crumble with your fingers. Add the chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, grated onion, garlic powder, cumin, kosher salt, and pepper. Use your hands to gently mix things together. Just mix it enough to distribute the ingredients.
3. Divide into 4 patties (or 6 little ones) and place on a preheated grill, indoor grill pan, or skillet. If you want to top with cheese, do so in the last few minutes of grilling.
4. While the burgers are cooking, toast buns and spread chipotle-lime sauce generously on each side of each bun. When the burgers are done to your liking let them stand for 5 minutes off the grill and then pop onto your prepared buns.
5. Top with tomato slices, avocado slices, and a crisp piece of lettuce.

Rating: 4.75 of 5
These are, literally, the best burgers I've had! Literally! I don't know what to say except that these were SO SO SO SO GOOD!!!! Between LaDon, Jonas, and I well all liked different aspects about the burger better, but overall it's just a fantastic combination of tastes and textures. I, personally, loved the taste the chipotle-lime mayo added. I loved the cilantro taste in it. And, I think the burger would be really good if you just replaced the lettuce completely with cilantro. Yummy! I've been craving these burgers ever since we made them this week!

Source: Our Best Bites, Southwest Chipotle Burgers

No comments:

Post a Comment