What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fresh Strawberry Pie

(Sorry for the terrible picture - it was already mostly eaten!)
Ingredients:
1 c. white sugar
2 T. cornstarch
1 c. boiling water
1 3-oz. package strawberry flavored gelatin*
2 1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, stems removed**
1 9-inch pie crust, baked
Whipped cream (optional)***
*I didn't have strawberry, so used cherry. If I didn't know I used cherry, I probably wouldn't have been able to taste it.
**I sliced the strawberries so that it would be easier for Ally to eat
***We used vanilla ice cream as topping
Recipe:
1. In a saucepan, mix together the sugar and cornstarch; make sure to blend cornstarch in completely. Add boiling water and cook over medium heat until mixture slightly thickens. Remove from heat. Add gelatin and stir until smooth. Cover and let mixture cool to room temperature.
2. Place strawberries in baked pie crust, pointed ends facing up**. Pour cooled gelatin mixture over strawberries.
3. Refrigerate until set. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Rating: 3.5 of 5
We liked this recipe and think it's great with the ice cream. I do think it will probably be better with the strawberry flavored jello instead of cherry. This is a super quick and easy recipe and I didn't feel bad about eating it for breakfast!
Source: AllRecipe: Dinner Tonight book, pg. 319

2 comments:

  1. Yum, I've never made or eaten a strawberry pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha nice link Jame! Next time I need to know how to do it, I'll know who to call

    ReplyDelete