What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Mama's Best Broiled Tomato Sandwich

Ingredients:
2 T. olive oil
2 T. balsamic vinegar *
4 ripe tomatoes, sliced
3 T. mayonnaise
1/2 t. dried parsley
1/4 t. dried oregano **
1/4 t. ground black pepper
3 T. grated Parmesan cheese
4 slices bread, lightly toasted
* I substituted the balsamic vinegar with red wine vinegar + 1 T. sugar
** I didn't have oregano alone, so I just used Italian seasoning
Recipe:
1. Preheat the broiler.
2. In a shallow bowl, whisk together olive oil and vinegar. Marinate tomatoes in the mixture for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, parsley, oregano, pepper, and half the Parmesan cheese. Spread mixture on each slice of toasted bread. Divide marinated tomatoes evenly between 2 slices and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. *
* I actually topped with with grated mozzarella as well.
4. Place on a baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes or until cheese turns golden brown. Serve immediately, open faced or closed.
Rating: 4 of 5
Despite not having all of the exact ingredients I think this turned out pretty well. It's light, it's easy, it's quick. The sandwich has a good balance between sweet and tangy. I don't like mayo at all, but I couldn't taste it. Next time I think I will add more cheese, both Parmesan and mozzarella, before broiling. We ate the sandwiches closed. This sandwich would definitely be good with a soup.
Source: All Recipes: Dinner Tonight, pg. 230

2 comments:

  1. I just made this for lunch today and it was SOOOOOOOO good. I actually mixed the Parmesan cheese into the mayo mix and used cider vinegar. It was still super good. Good find, Jame!

    ReplyDelete