What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Chipotle-Mango BBQ Chicken Salad

Salad sans dressing

Ingredients:
Chipotle-Mango BBQ Sauce:
1 mango, peeled and chopped
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, plus 2 t. adobo sauce
1/2 c. ketchup
1/2 c. apple juice
1/4 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
juice from 1/2 lemon
2 T. unseasoned rice vinegar
2 T. brown sugar
1 T. canola oil
2 t. paprika *
2 t. salt
1 t. black pepper

*I only had 1 t. paprika, so I substituted the rest with just a 1/2 t. cayenne pepper.

Dressing:
2 T. prepared Chipotle-Mango BBQ sauce
2 T. plain Greek yogurt
1-2 t. lime juice, give or take a little
salt and pepper

Salad:
2 chicken breasts
2 ears sweet corn, shucked
1 vine-ripe tomato, cut into wedges
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
1 bag Dole Romaine Salad mix *

*I used just a head of Romaine

Recipe:
Chipotle-Mango BBQ Sauce:
1. Combine all ingredients for BBQ sauce into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring often. Let cool then transfer to a food processor or blender, and process until smooth.

Dressing:
1. Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl. Taste, then add more lime juice, salt and pepper if necessary.

Salad:
1. Marinate chicken breasts in some of the prepared Chipotle-Mango BBQ sauce for at least 15 minutes, or up to 3 hours.
2. Grill over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes per side until no longer pink in the middle. Allow to rest for 5 minutes off the grill before slicing.
3. Grill corn alongside the chicken, rotating every few minutes until charred on all sides. Let cool for a few minutes, then cut kernels off the cob.
4. Divide lettuce between two plates, then top with grilled corn, tomatoes, cilantro, and grilled chicken. Drizzle with prepared dressing.

Rating: 4 of 5
I really liked this salad. My only complaint is the heat of the dressing, but that is easily remedied by taking out the chipotle pepper before blending. I thought the chicken marinade was perfect and just the right flavor to go with the salad and cilantro. For the corn, I brushed it with olive oil and then grilled it. Loved the flavor in the salad. Super easy salad to make although it does require a little bit of prep time. I'd definitely make this again.

Source: Iowa Girl Eats, Chipotle-Mango BBQ Chicken Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment