What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Thursday, July 12, 2012

The New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies

I never did end up getting a picture of these cookies. I would only bake 8 at a time and they would just disappear!

Ingredients:
2 c. minus 2 T. cake flour
1 2/3 c. bread flour
1 1/4 t. baking soda
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. coarse salt
1 1/4 c. unsalted butter
1 1/4 c. light brown sugar
1 c. plus 2 T. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 t. vanilla extract
1 1/4 lbs. chocolate chips*

* 1 lb chocolate chips = 2 2/3 c. -- I used what I had which was normal semisweet, white chocolate, and mini chocolate chips

Recipe:
1. Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside.
2. Using a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy - about 5 minutes.
3. Add eggs. Stir in vanilla. Reduce to low speed and slowly add dry ingredients until just combined.
4. Fold in chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough for 24-36 hours.
5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 F. Drop spoonfuls of dough onto baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Rating: 5 of 5
I have low self-esteem when it comes to making chocolate chip cookies. Just chocolate chip cookies. Why? Well, because it doesn't matter what I do, they never turn out! But, this recipe actually works for me. I don't know why, but I didn't have a single bad batch, or cookie for that matter, over the 3 days that it took me to bake all the dough. To get a good soft cookie after it cools though, you need to drop enough dough to almost make a golf ball (which is my guess since I'm really not that familiar with golf balls....so let's say a ping pong ball since I do know those). These cookies are just so good! Oh yeah, I definitely don't think you need to refrig for 24-36 hours. I made my first batch after a 4 hour stint in the fridge and they turned out just the same as the dough that stayed in for the allotted time.

Source: I Am Baker, Chocolate Chip Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment