What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Broccoli and Four-Cheese Calzones

I'll just start off by saying that I didn't even do the broccoli and four-cheese part, but here is the recipe if you want it!

Ingredients:
1 1/3 c. warm water
2 T. olive oil
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. dried oregano
4 c. bread flour
1 pkg. active dry yeast

1 10-oz. frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
1/4 t. garlic powder
2 T. olive oil
1/2 c. shredded provolone cheese
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 c. mozzarella cheese
1/2 c. ricotta cheese
1 T. olive oil

Recipe:
1. Place the water, 2 T. olive oil, salt, oregano, bread flour, and yeast in the bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough setting and press Start.
2. Meanwhile, squeeze out excess liquid from broccoli. In a large skillet, saute the broccoli and garlic powder in 2 T. olive oil. Stir in the provolone, Parmesan, mozzarella, and ricotta cheese.
3. Once bread cycle has finished, remove dough from machine and roll in to 6 8-inch circles. Spread filling on one half of each circle, leaving a border around it for closing. Close the calzones and crimp the edges closed with your fingers or a fork. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Let rise in a draft-free area for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
4. Brush tops lightly with 1 T. olive oil. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. *

* For my oven 20 minutes was long enough to turn the dough the a dark brown. I think 15 minutes is probably long enough as long as the dough gets cooked.

So, instead of the broccoli and four-cheese filling here's what I did.

Ingredients:
1 pkg. frozen broccoli florets
2 can. chicken breast chunks in water or 2 chicken breasts shredded or cubed

Recipe:
1. Mix all three ingredients together and spoon into dough.

Rating: 3.5 of 5
I liked my version of the filling. I didn't have the other ingredients on hand, so this was a pretty good substitute. The dough was pretty good, but like I said, it got a little too cooked. Daniel loved it which makes me happy that he ate broccoli no-questions-asked.

Source: AllRecipes, Dinner Tonight, pg. 181 and Michelle Knebel, and my brain

No comments:

Post a Comment