What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Friday, May 6, 2011

Strawberry Shortcakes

Ingredients:
1 quart strawberries, sliced
1 c. sugar
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 T. sugar
3 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
3/4 c. milk
1/3 c. margarine or butter, melted

Recipe:
1. Sprinkle strawberries with 1 c. of sugar; let stand 1 hour. *
2. Preheat the oven to 450.
3. Mix flour, 2 T. sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in milk and margarine just until blended.
4. Sprinkle a surface lightly with flour. Turn the dough onto the surface. Gently smooth into a ball.
5. Knead 20-25 times. Roll or pat dough 3/4 inch thick; cut into shortcakes with a floured 3 to 32 1/2 inch biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. **
6. Bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes.
7. Split warm shortcakes crosswise; fill and top with strawberries. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

* I put the strawberries back in the fridge for that hour.
** I don't have cookie or biscuit cutters and just used a large cup.

Rating: 4.5 of 5
I am not a huge fan of shortcake, but I thought this was pretty good. It actually tasted a lot like my Grandma's biscuits which are sooo good. You can never go wrong with strawberries and whipped cream though. LaDon declared it "perfect" while eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment