What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Buttery Soft Pretzels

Ingredients:
4 t. active dry yeast
1 t. white sugar
1 1/4 c. warm water
5 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. white sugar
1 1/2 t. salt
2 T. vegetable oil
1/2 c. baking soda
4 c. hot water
1/4 c. kosher salt

Recipe:
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 t. sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, 1/2 c. sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center; add yeast mixture and oil. Mix and form into a dough. If the mixture is dry, add 1 or 2 T. water. Knead until smooth, about 7-8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl; place the dough in the bowl and trun to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, dissolve baking soda in hot water. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope and twist into a pretzel shape. Dip each pretzel into the baking soda solution and place on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 minutes or until browned.

Rating: 2.5 of 5
This really isn't a bad recipe, I just didn't like how dense the bread turned out to be. A little bit of a disappointment after I thought I was going to be getting soft, fluffy pretzels.

Source: AllRecipes, pg. 292

No comments:

Post a Comment