What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pico de Gallo


Ingredients:
about 3 Roma tomatoes
1 smallish jalapeno pepper *
1/2 small onion

Measurements for remaining ingredients are approximate:
1/2 lime juiced (for more flavor juice the whole thing)
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
Kosher salt to taste, optional

*our local produce store was out! So, we decided to experiment with pepper tastes and went for an Anaheim pepper.

Recipe:
1. Cut ends off tomatoes and then slice in half lengthwise. Under running water, gently run your finger under the membrane that contains the seed. It's okay if some seeds get in there, but if you have all of them, it's going to get a little sloppy. Cut into small chunks
2. Finely dice the onion. Toss with the tomato.
3. Finely chop the jalapeno, removing the seeds if desired. Toss with the tomatoes and onions.
4. Add the fresh-squeezed juice of 1/2 of the lime. Taste. If you want more lime flavor, add a little more.
5. Add your giant pinch of cilantro. Combine well. Add a generous sprinkling of Kosher salt, taste, and add more if desired.
6. This is best if it stands for a few hours before you serve it, but the juices will run and gather in the bottom of the bowl.

Rating: 3.5 of 5
We like this recipe. The Anaheim pepper was really hot, but I think the jalapeno would decrease some of the fire. I rarely use raw onion in anything (always a dried chopped onion kinda girl) so the onion was a little surprising and strong for my taste. Love the lime and cilantro. In fact, I doubled the called for cilantro and used the whole lime instead of half. Next time I think I will cut the amount of onion in half and definitely try to find a jalapeno pepper!

Source: OurBestBites.com, Pico de Gallo

No comments:

Post a Comment