What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Southwestern Cobb Salad


Ingredients:
Vinaigrette:
3 T. white wine vinegar
1 t. honey
3/4 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. smoked paprika *
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. ground red pepper
2 T. canola oil

Salad:
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
cooking spray
8 oz. skinless, boneless turkey or chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch pieces **
1/4 t. salt
8 c. torn romaine lettuce ***
1/2 c. diced avocado
1/2 c. (2 oz) crumbled queso fresco, feta, or shredded pepperjack ****
1/4 c. chopped green onions
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained

*Never knew smoked paprika was an option. So, I used what I had and that was ground paprika.
** Got my chicken breast from a rotisserie. Hooray for Costco's $5 chickens!
*** I'm a lettuce snob. I pretty much use green leaf over any other kind of lettuce.
****I went with a mix of shredded pepperjack, mozzarella, and cheddar cheeses.

Recipe:
1. To prepare vinaigrette, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to combine, or place in a jar and shake. Set aside.
2. To prepare salad, heat a skillet to medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle turkey or chicken with salt and add to pan. Saute until done, about 4 minutes.*
3. Arrange 2 c. lettuce on each of 4 plates and divide ingredients among them. If you want to be specific, each serving should have about: 2 t. bacon, 5 T. chicken, 2 T. pico de gallo, 2 T. avocado, 2 T. cheese, 1 T. green onions, and 1/3 c. beans.
4. Drizzle vinaigrette evenly over salads.

*I'm not sure if the 4 minutes is for raw or cooked chicken. My chicken was already cooked. Rather than coating the pan with cooking spray, I cooked my bacon first, removed the bacon, drained the fat out, and then threw in the chicken. Not that that lowered the calories in any way...

Rating: 4.5 of 5
This salad surprised me! I wasn't expecting much since I knew the onion in the pico de gallo was really strong and the pepper hot, but the vinaigrette and every thing else on the salad blended perfectly! LaDon doesn't like vinaigrette very often, so the fact that he really liked this salad including the dressing is saying a lot. Good veggies. Lots of flavor. And very delicious.

Source: OurBestBites.com, Southwestern Cobb Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment