What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Snowman Cupcakes




Ingredients:
12 cupcakes, baked and cooled
1/4 c. each red and green decorating sugar *
24 mini vanilla wafers *
1 16-oz can vanilla frosting
4 candy orange fruit slices
1/4 c. dark chocolate frosting **
1 c. white decorating sugar ***
6 each, red and green licorice twists
24 pink large sprinkles ****
24 mini brown M&Ms **

* I actually just used gum drops for the ear muffs. Cut down on a lot of work and supplies.
** I didn't use the frosting for the mouth. Instead I used mini chocolate chips for the mouth and eyes.
*** Didn't use the decorating sugar. I thought the white frosting was enough.
**** Didn't use the sprinkles.

Recipe:
1. Place the red and green sugars in separate bowls. Spread a thin layer of vanilla frosting on top of the mini vanilla wafers to cover. Press the top of 12 wafers into the red sugar to coat. Repeat with the remaining 12 wafers and press into the green sugar. Set aside. (These are used for the ear muffs)
2. Cut 12 1-inch triangles from the orange slices to make the noses. Spoon the dark chocolate frosting into a freezer-weight ziplock bag. Spoon 1/4 c. of the vanilla frosting into a freezer-weight ziplock bag. Place the white decorating sugar in a shallow bowl. Spread the remaining frosting on top of cupcakes and make a smooth mound. Roll the tops of the frosted cupcakes into the white sugar to cover completely.
3. Add the cut orange candy as the nose in the center of the cupcake. Add the chocolate candies as the eyes. Snip a very small corner from the bag with the chocolate frosting and pipe a mouth. Add the pink sprinkles as cheeks.
4. Cut the licorice twists into 12 6-inch lengths for the bands of the earmuffs. Insert the 2 cut ends into either side of the cupcake for the headband. Snip a small corner from the bag with the vanilla frosting. Pipe a dot of vanilla frosting on either side where the licorice enters the cupcakes. Add the like colored vanilla wafers as the muffs. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes.

Rating: 4 of 5
I actually didn't eat any of the cupcakes, but how bad can it be? Cute idea. Kids LOVE them. We took them to Ally's class Christmas program and the cupcakes disappeared quickly. Although it requires a lot of supplies, they making of the cupcakes isn't bad. It goes pretty quickly.

Source: Allofyou.com, Snowmen Cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment