What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Mom's Scones

Ingredients:
1 c. warm water
1 c. warm milk
1 T. dry active yeast
3 T. granulated sugar
1/4 c. melted butter, cooled
1 T. salt
5-6 c. bread flour
vegetable oil for deep frying

Recipe:
1. Combine warm water and warm milk. Stir in the sugar. Add yeast and stir lightly.
2. Allow yeast to activate, about 10 minutes. 
3. In a stand mixer, fitted with a bread hook, add milk mixture and melted cooled butter. Add the salt.
4. Start the mixer and add the flour one cup at a time until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Dough should be slightly sticky but workable.
5. Cover the dough in the bowl with a towel. Set in a warm place allow to rise until double.
6. Pour your oil in a large pan (with sides deep enough to fully immerse the scones) or a deep fryer and heat slowly over medium-high heat. 
7. While the oil is heating, roll the dough out onto the counter, without flour, into a large rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
8. You may choose to butter the counter lightly. Using a pizza cutter, cut into squares or triangles. 
9. Heat oil to between 350-400 degrees and cook scones until golden brown. Serve immediately.

Rating: 3 of 5
These weren't great, but they were still good. I think the thing I didn't like about them is that it's just SO much fried food at once. We ate these with honey-butter which was really, really good. I didn't like the scones so much after they were cooled. They were best hot. I'd have to tweak this recipe a little bit before I would make it again.

Source: Make It Do, Mom's Scones

No comments:

Post a Comment