What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Monday, May 14, 2012

Chinese Chicken Salad



Ingredients:
Salad:
12 3-inch wonton skins, sliced into 1/4" strips *
1/4 c. canola or corn oil for frying
4 c. chopped romaine lettuce
1 chicken breasts, shredded **
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 c. sliced almonds, toasted lightly
1 T. sesame seeds
2 c. cooked fusilli pasta noodles, cooled

* I cut mine into 1-inch strips and then broke it into pieces as I topped the salad.
**I doubled the chicken.

Dressing: 
1 1/2 T vegetable or grapeseed oil
6 T. seasoned rice vinegar
1 t. sesame oil (add more to taste if you prefer a strong sesame taste) *
1 1/2 t. sugar
2 t. light soy sauce
2 T. sesame seeds
1/2 t. fresh ground pepper
1/8 t. salt

*I probably did about 1 1/2-2 t. 

Recipe:
1. Heat canola or corn oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. When oil starts to shimmer, fry wonton skins batches of 5-7 strips for 30 seconds each side or until lightly browned, working quickly so they don't burn. Remove oil and drain on paper towels until cooled.
2. In a large bowl, combine lettuce, chicken breast, green onion, almonds and pasta.
3. Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk well until sugar dissolves. Dress lettuce mixture with 2-3 tablespoons of sesame dressing and top with sesame seeds and wonton strips and serve.

Rating: 4.5 of 5
I loved this salad. Even LaDon, who doesn't like Chinese food a lot, really liked it. The dressing is light and not too overbearing. I loved the evrey aspect of this salad. The pasta surprised me, but it went great with the shredded chicken and almond slices. I'll definitely be making this again.

Source: Foodie Crush, Chinese Chicken Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment