What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Monday, May 14, 2012

Creamy Chipotle Enchiladas

Ingredients:
2-3 lb. pot roast
10 oz. can of diced tomato with green chilies
8 oz. can Ro Tel enchilada sauce
7 oz. can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1/2 t. cumin
1/4 t. oregano
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 -1 c. heavy cream
1 can of corn, drained
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/4 c. cream cheese, somewhere between softened and melted
6 large tortillas
shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese
sour cream
cilantro, chopped

Recipe:
1. In a medium bowl, mix diced tomatoes, enchilada sauce, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, cumin, oregano, and garlic.
2. Place roast in crock pot and cover with tomato-chipotle mixture. Cook on high for 4ish hours.
3. Remove roast from crock pot and shred meat.
4. Using a fine strainer, pour juices from crock pot into a medium bowl. Reserve juices. Remove chipotle peppers from strainer. 
5. Replace tomatoes and green chilies (in strainer) in the crockpot. Pour about 2-4 cups of reserved juices into crockpot. Pour in heavy cream and stir together. Replace meat. Add black beans and corn. Continue cooking for another 20-30 minutes. (The key thing here is to have enough juice/sauce to coat the meat. It's not going to cook that long so it shouldn't dry out.)
6. Mix tomato sauce and cream cheese together in a small bowl.
7. Grease 9x12 baking dish and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
8. Lay out a tortilla and scoop meat mixture on to 1/2 of the torilla. Place a handful of shredded cheese on top and then roll the torilla. Place seam side down in baking dish. Repeat until dish is full. (I actually ended up with extra meat so there would be enough to almost make 2 full baking dishes of enchiladas.)
9. Cover enchiliadas with tomato/cream cheese mixture. Top with cheese.
10. Place in oven for 15-20 minutes, until cheeses are melted.
11. Serve and top with sour cream and cilantro.

Rating: 4 of 5
This was one of those meals that I used whatever I had on hand. It actually turned out really well. I didn't measure anything so the measurements are all my best guess. The chipotle peppers add a pretty good kick, so I used the cream and cream cheese as a way to tone it down a bit. If looking to cut out some of that then you could just remove the chipotle peppers from the adobo sauce before the initial cook time. I really enjoyed this dish and would make it again!

Source: my own

No comments:

Post a Comment