What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Friday, May 11, 2012

Colorful Quinoa, Black Bean and Corn Salad

Ingredients:
1 c. quinoa, thoroughly washed in a fine sieve
1 3/4 c. water
15-oz. can black beans, thoroughly rinsed
1 c. frozen corn *
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped**
1 Jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and minced
1/2 red onion, finely chopped ***
1/4 c. cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
1/3 c. olive oil
1/4 c. balsamic  vinegar****
salt and pepper

*used a can instead
** I used what I had on hand and that meant cutting out the red pepper and jalapeno and replacing it with just a green bell pepper.
*** I didn't have a red onion on hand so I just used my normal onion substitute of dried chopped onion.
**** I don't really like the balsamic taste, so I substituted it with lime juice. Much better.

Recipe:
1. Combine the quinoa and water in a rice cooker and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions. Alternatively combine the quinoa and water in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer (not removing the lid!), until all of the water has been absorbed. *
2. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, black beans, corn, red bell pepper, jalapeno, onion, and cilantro. Mix well.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and balsamic and pour over the quinoa; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.

*I don't have a rice cooker. I followed the instructions on the packaging.

Rating: 4 of 5
Did I like it? Yes. Would I make it again? Yes. Did LaDon like the quinoa? Surprisingly, yes! I really don't think I would have liked this with the balsamic, so I'm glad I switched it out for the lime juice. Cilantro and lime go better together anyway. Even Ally liked it and that girl never eats new food.


No comments:

Post a Comment