What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Philly Sandwhiches

Ingredients:
Spread:
1 c. mayonaise *
2 cloves garlic, minced
Filling:
1 T. olive oil
1 lb. beef round steak, cut into thin strips **
2 green bell peppers, cut into strips ***
2 onions, sliced into rings ****
4 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
mozzarella cheese *****
1 t. dried oregano
* I only used about 1/4 c.
** I actually bought a 1 lb. Philly meat package from Wal-Mart. It comes with 4 slabs of meat, but as you cook it, the meat falls apart and eliminates the task of thinly slicing the meat.
*** I used about 1/2 of a large green pepper and 1/2 of a red pepper.
**** I definitely didn't use 2 onions. I only used about 1/2 of an onion.
***** I ditched the mozzarella and went with provolone slices.

Recipe:
1. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and minced garlic. Cover, and refrigerate.
2. Preheat oven to 500 degress.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute beef until lightly browned. (I drained the oil and juices before the next step.)
4. Stir in peppers and onion, and season with salt and pepper. Saute until vegetables are tender, and remove from heat.
5. Spread each bun generously with garlic mayonnaise. Divide beef mixture into the buns. Top with cheese and sprinkly with oregano.
6. Place sandwiches on a baking pan. Heat sandwiches in oven until cheese is melted or slightly browned.
Rating: 4.75 of 5
For a homemade Philly....I don't know if it gets any better. So, so, so good. While it was a more expensive meal (by our standards), each sandwich was about $2.00 which is cheaper than you're going to get it elsewhere. I really liked the garlic spread and thought it added just the right taste to the sandwich.
Source: from AllRecipes.com.

1 comment:

  1. gah! I need that RIGHT NOW. It's 8:34 and I haven't even started dinner... can't you just make those appear for me right now?

    ReplyDelete