What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

All-American Apple Pie




Ingredients:
~Crust~
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 T. cold milk
1 1/2 t. white sugar
1 t. salt

~Apple Filling~
3/4 c. white sugar
3 T. all-purpose flour
3/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
6 Fuji apples, cored and sliced *

~Topping~
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. cold butter (MUST be cold!)

* I always peel my apples. I'm not a fan of cooked skin.

Recipe:
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a large bowl, mix together ingredients for the crust until evenly blended. Pat mixture into a 9-inch pie pan, spreading the dough evenly over the bottom and up sides. *
3. Mix together the apple filling ingredients. Sprinkle over apples and toss to coat. Spread evenly in unbaked pie shell.
4. Using a pastry cutter, blend together the topping ingredients until evenly distributed and crumbly in texture. Sprinkle over apples.
5. Put pie pan on a 10x15 jellyroll pan to catch the juices that may spill over. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until golden. Let stand before serving.

*I normally do this, but today I decided to make individual servings by placing the crust in a muffin tin.

Rating: 4.5 of 5 (as a pie) and 4.75 of 5 (as individual servings)
I really like the straight up apple pie version of this recipe, but one thing I didn't like was who soupy it would turn out. I'm not sure how to avoid that since it's just the juices from the apples. I rated the individual servings slightly higher because it eliminated the juice problem for me. Either way, this is a super delicious recipe.

Source: AllRecipes Dinner Tonight, pg. 86

1 comment:

  1. Yummy!!! Keep posting because I keep using your meals in my meal planning. We are having your baked Ziti next thursday, and Jimmy is going to make it!

    ReplyDelete