What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Monday, April 18, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup


Ingredients:
1 c. onion, chopped
1 t. garlic, minced
3 c. chicken broth
1 14.5-oz can Mexican diced tomatoes*
1/2 t. chili powder
1/4 t. ground cumin
**1 can of corn, drained**
1 1/2 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast, cubed
2 T. cornstarch (don't have cornstarch on hand? Not a problem! Just use flour and double the amount!)
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. Mexican cheese blend, shredded
1 T. fresh cilantro, minced
Tortilla chips

* I couldn't find Mexican diced tomatoes, so I just bought "diced tomatoes with green chilies"
** I added the can of corn to the recipe. I love corn and thought it would make a nice addition....and it did!

Recipe:
1. In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Add chicken.
2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Combine cornstarch and water and stir until smooth.
3. Stir cornstarch/water mixture into soup. Let soup simmer for 15 additional minutes.
4. Serve soup topped with cheese, cilantro and with tortilla chips.

Rating: 4.5 of 5
For soup, we thought this was great. Neither of us are huge soup lovers. But, this recipe is quick and easy. The cilantro makes all the difference though! That being said, we do LOVE cilantro. We wanted to have a dollop of sour cream with it as garnishing, but Ally would have eaten nothing else. We will definitely be having this recipe again.

Source: Food on the Table

No comments:

Post a Comment