What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Orange Chicken Salad

I didn't take a picture of this one either. We had it the same night at the Recipe A Wings.

Ingredients:
1/3 c. sour cream
1/3 c. mayonnaise or salad dressing
1 T. frozen orange juice concentrate
1/2 t. poppy seeds, optional
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, fully cooked, cut into julienne strips *
1 11-oz. can mandarin orange sections, drained OR one 15.5-oz can pineapple chunks, drained
3 stalks celery, cut into 1/2 inch slices
2 green onions, sliced
salt and pepper totaste
4 lettuce leaves **

* I actually cut out the chicken in this recipe because we were having chicken as the main dish.
** Definitely used more than 4 leaves of lettuce. I used a whole head of iceberg.

Recipe:
1. In a small mixing bowl, stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, orange juice concentrate, and, if desired, poppy seeds.
2. In a large mixing bowl, toss together chicken strips, orange sections, celery and green onions.
3. Pour dressing over chicken mixture; toss lightly to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve on lettuce leaves.

Rating: 3 of 5
This is a fairly refreshing salad. Although it's technically a side dish, we think with chicken (which we did not include this time) would be a good enough main dish. The orange flavor wasn't super powerful but not lacking. A good balance. Also, I didn't use nearly as much of the sour cream/mayo mixture as it called for.

Source: Speed Scratch, p. 22

No comments:

Post a Comment