What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pear Salad

Ingredients:
2 T. pecans, chopped*
2 T. sugar
3 c. green leaf lettuce
3 pears, cored and chopped**
1/2 avocado, chopped
1/2 c. green onion, thinly sliced

* I really like the pecans, so I double them. Candied pecans...doesn't get much better.
**I definitely don't use 3 pears! Talk about a pear salad with a little bit of lettuce on the side! I usually only use 1-1.5 pears.

Dressing:
3 T. red wine vinegar
1 1/2 t. sugar
1 1/2 t. mustard
1/2 t. salt
1 clove garlic
pinch black pepper

Recipe:
1. Over medium heat, cook pecans with sugar. Stir until sugar melts and caramelizes. Pour pecans onto wax paper to cool and break in small pieces. Set aside. *
2. For the dressing, in a blender, or small bowl and whisk, mix together red wine vinegar, 1 1/2 t. sugar, mustard, 1/2 t. salt, and pinch of pepper. Set aside.
3. Layer the remaining ingredients in a salad bowl. Top with pecans and drizzle dressing on top of salad. (For better leftover results, pour dressing over individual servings of salad.)

* I usually double the caramelized pecans....they're my favorite part!

Rating: 4 of 5
A good batch of this is so addicting!! I love it! This is, what I consider to be (when things aren't in season), an expensive salad, so we don't make it a ton. But, we had it this week! When my mom was here this week, I had her make the dressing and I think she actually put in 3 T. of sugar (not 3 t.) and I think I like the extra sugar version better.

Source: I'm not really sure where this particular recipe comes from, but it's inspired by Emily Jones' delicious pear salad that we had at her place a few years back.

No comments:

Post a Comment