What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Strawberry Bread


Ingredients:
2 c. fresh strawberries *
2 t. white sugar **
3 c. + 2 T. all-purpose flour
2 c. white sugar
1 T. ground cinnamon
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 1/4 c. vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 c. chopped pecans (optional)

* I actually doubled the amount of strawberries called for which led to a doubling of the 2 t. of sugar
** Doubled the sugar because of the double strawberries

Recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 350-degrees. Lightly grease 2 5x9-inch loaf pans.
2. Slice strawberries and place in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with 2 t. sugar, and set aside. *
3. Combine flour, 2 c. sugar, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl; mix well.
4. Blend oil and eggs into strawberries. Add strawberry mixture to flour mixture, blending until dry ingredients are just moistened. Stir in pecans. Divide batter into pans.
5. Make in the preheated oven for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.

Rating: 5 of 5
At first glance this bread does not look appealing at all! I would describe what first popped into my mind when I sliced the bread, but then no one would want to try this recipe. Anyway, the best way that I can rate this bread is by saying: it's a strawberry version of banana bread. Basically, it's much more delicious than it looks. Oh! I also think this would look good, possibly taste good, with powdered sugar sprinkled on top.

Source: AllRecipes: Dinner Tonight, pg. 282

* So, I had started making this before I realized I had no eggs. So, the strawberries actually sat over night in the fridge. The bread still turned out fine, but as this was a first time recipe, I really didn't have anything to compare it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment