What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Broccoli Cheese Soup


Ingredients:
1 3/4 c. chicken broth
1 small onion, diced
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. butter
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 t. salt
2 c. milk
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese, preferably sharp or extra sharp *
1/2 c. shredded Swiss cheese *
2 1/2 to 3 c. chopped, lightly steamed or blanched broccoli **

* When I went to put the cheese in the soup, I realized that I only had a half cup of cheddar left! So, I improvised! I threw in the 1/2 c. of cheddar and then made the other 1 1/2 c. of cheese parts of Provolone (not Swiss, never Swiss!), Parmesan, and mozzarella.
** Totally forgot to chop my broccoli, but it turned out fine.

Recipe:
1. Simmer chicken broth and chopped onion for 15-20 minutes in a covered small saucepan, until onions are soft.
2. Heat milk in microwave for 1-2 minutes.
3. In a separate medium-sized stockpot, melt butter then add flour, salt, and pepper. Cook together, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, then whisk in warmed milk.
4. Stir and heat together on medium heat until soup starts to thicken, about 5-8 minutes. Add warmed chicken broth and continue to stir until well blended.
5. Add cheeses and stir until completely melted.
6. Stir in steamed broccoli. Add more salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
7. Serve immediately in bowls or bread bowls.

Rating: 4 of 5
Since I changed the quota of cheeses, I'm not sure what this is supposed to taste like. But, since this was sooo good with my mix-ups, I can only imagine the real thing is delicious too! That being said, I do love a good broccoli and cheese soup. Anyways, this soup is thick and creamy. But, not so thick that it's like eating mashed potatoes. The base is so good in this soup, that if you don't like broccoli, then I'm thinkin' you could switch it out for your favorite vegetable or any combination of vegetables.

Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe, Broccoli Cheese Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment