What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Cuban Midnight Sandwich


Ingredients:
1/2 c. mayonnaise *
2 1/2 T. Italian dressing *
4 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise and toasted **
1/4 c. prepared mustard
1/2 lb. thinly sliced cooked deli turkey
1/2 lb. thinly sliced cooked deli ham
1/2 lb. thinly sliced Swiss cheese ***
1 c. dill pickle slices
1/4 c. olive oil

* Since I was only making 2 sandwiches, I obviously cut the mayo and Italian way down. Same thing with the mustard
** I just made my own sandwich bread instead of buying it.
***Swiss is great and all, but Provolone is the way to go. Love that stuff.

Recipe:
1. In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise and Italian dressing. Spread mixture on bottom half of toasted hoagie rolls.. Spread each roll with mustard.
2. On each roll, arrange layers of turkey, ham, and cheese. Top each with dill pickle slices. Add tops and brush tops and bottoms with olive oil.
3. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place sandwiches in skillet. Cook sandwiches for 2 minutes, pressing down with a foil-covered plate or spatula. Flip and cook for 2 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
4. Remove from heat, place on plates, and cut in half diagonally.

Rating: 3.75 of 5
I loved the taste of the olive oil on the bread. The cheese didn't melt at all in the 4 minutes of cooking in the skillet, so next time I think I'll use our Panini maker. LaDon really liked the sandwiches which is great! I've never been a huge sandwich lover though, so for me to say it was pretty good is probably something. Right? Maybe not.

Source: AllRecipes Dinner Tonight, pg. 18

No comments:

Post a Comment