What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Ravioli Soup

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
2 c. water
2 28-oz can crushed tomatoes *
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1 1/2 c. chopped onion
1/4 c. minced parsley, fresh **
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 t. dried basil
1/2 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. onion salt ***
1/2 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 t. dried thyme
1 9-oz pkg refrigerated cheese ravioli ****
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
additional minced fresh parsley, optional

* I only had diced tomatoes on hand
** I only had dried on hand
*** I didn't have any onion salt, so I used onion powder
****We only had the frozen kind, so I just cooked it before hand according to the directions

Recipe:
1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, parsley, garlic, and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook ravioli according to package directions; drain. Add to soup and heat through. Stir in the Parmesan cheese. Garnish with additional parsley if desired.

Rating: 3.5 of 5
This is NOT a soup. The recipe might claim to be a soup, but in reality, it turns out to be a thick and delicious meat sauce. The next time I make this I'll definitely be serving it as the sauce and put it with spaghetti noodles. I'll also cut back on the oregano and thyme. I thought those tastes were a bit too overpowering.

Source: TasteofHome.com, Ravioli Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment