What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Fabulous Cilantro Pesto

Ingredients:
1 16-oz. package farfalle (bow tie) pasta
1 bunch fresh cilantro
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. white wine vinegar (substitute with lime, lemon, or Italian dressing if desired)
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 c. walnuts or pecans
salt to taste
1/2 c. olive oil

Recipe:
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water ot a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water for 8-10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
2. In a food processor or blender, place cilantro, garlic, vinegar, Parmesan cheese, cayenne pepper, nuts, and salt. Add 1/4 c. of the olive oil and blend. Add more olive oil until desired consistency. (Or if you don't have a food processor or a very good blender then just dice the dickens out of everything and whisk together in a bowl.
3. Pour pesto in a small saucepan and simmer over low heat, stirring constantly. Pour over cooked pasta and toss.

Rating: 3 of 5
I liked this dish and thought it was very tasty. Loved the cayenne pepper in it. A little kick, but not too much. I loved the pecan flavor as well. And, of course, the cilantro is amazing. I do think it calls for too much olive oil, but that's easily fixed. I wouldn't every serve this as a main dish, but as a side this would work great. I think it would work best along side a chicken or fish recipe. Also, this makes a big batch. Next time I'll half it.

Source: AllRecipes Dinner Tonight, pg. 186

No comments:

Post a Comment