What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Friday, January 27, 2012

One-Bowl Chocolate Cake


If you're like me, then you LOVE having an excuse to make something sweet! Well, today provides that excuse. It's National Chocolate Cake Day!!! That's right, January 27th is the day of all days! In honor of this holiday, I decided to try a from-scratch-recipe for chocolate-cake.
Ingredients:
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
3/4 c. milk
1/3 c. cooking oil
1 t. vanilla
1 egg
1 recipe Chocolate Glaze

Recipe:
1. Grease and flour a 9x1 1/2-inch round or 8x8x2-inch square baking pan; set pan aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. Add milk, oil, and vanilla. Beat with a mixer on low speed just until combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
4. Add egg and beat 2 minutes more. Pour batter into prepared pan.
5. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
6. Spoon Chocolate Glaze over cooled cake.

Rating: 3 of 5
I really like the ease and taste of this cake, but this recipe makes a very dry cake. Pretty hard to get through one piece without something to drink. If I knew more about cakes, I would try to fix it, but since I really never make cake and I don't know anything about them I'm not going to fret about it.

Source: Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book, pg. 162

No comments:

Post a Comment