What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Easy Cajun Jambalaya


Ingredients:
2 t. olive oil
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces *
8-oz. kielbasa, diced (aka: Polish sausage. Think U-shaped meat at the market)
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 c. celery, diced
2 T. chopped garlic **
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 t. onion powder
3/4 t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper
2 c. uncooked white rice
4 c. chicken broth
3 bay leaves
4 t. Worcestershire sauce
2 t. hot pepper sauce

* We went to the beach today and was just feeling WAY too tired to thaw, cook, and cut chicken. So, I just used canned chicken instead.
** Didn't have any garlic on hand, so I just used minced garlic. Actually, I never have garlic on hand. I always use minced garlic.

Recipe:
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute chicken and kielbasa until lightly browned, about 5 minutes
2. Stir in onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic.
3. Season with cayenne, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Cook 3 minutes or until onion is tender and translucent.
4. Add rice; stir in chicken broth, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, and hot pepper sauce.
5. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 18 minutes or until rice is tender. Discard bay leaves before serving.

Rating: 3.5 of 5
Loved the kick in this! Not too much, not too little. I was pleasantly surprised by this dish. I was also surprised at how big of a batch this makes. For some reason, 2 c. of rise and 4 c. of broth didn't set off the "cut the recipe in half" alarm in my head. So, now we have a witche's kettle sized jambalaya dish. I also like the kielbasa and chicken combo. The veggies were perfect and I couldn't really tell the bell peppers were bell peppers.

Source: AllRecipe Dinner Tonight, pg. 46

No comments:

Post a Comment