What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Best Sloppy Joes

Ingredients:
2 T. vegetable oil
2 onions, roughly chopped
2 1/2 lbs. ground beef
2 T. tomato paste
2/3 c. smoky BBQ sauce (or whatever BBQ sauce is in your fridge)
1/2 c. ketchup
1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 c. soy sauce
freshly ground black pepper
8-12 potato rolls

Recipe:
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until they start to turn translucent, about 4 minutes.
2. Add the beef and cook, stirring and breaking up the meat, until it is finely crumbled, the liquid boils off and the meat begins to brown, about 10 minutes.
3. Drain the grease off the meat and onions.
4. Stir in the tomato paste, and keep stirring until the meat is coated.
5. Add the BBQ sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire, soy sauce, and pepper, and bring to a boil.
6. Cook until the sauce is slightly thickened, 4-5 minutes.
7. Serve the sloppy Joes hot with warm rolls.

Rating: 3.5 of 5
This was a pretty good recipe. I halved it and the servings came out to the perfect size for LaDon and I. I used Spicy and Sweet BBQ sauce so there was a little bit of a kick there that normal BBQ sauce doesn't have. It definitely doesn't taste like sloppy Joe juice from a can. It's delicious, although not the taste that I'm used to in a sloppy Joe. Easy, easy recipe. One thing I need to do is find something to do with the extra tomato paste. I would make this one again for sure. I'm wondering if I can figure out a way to do this in a crockpot so that we can eat it in the summer with corn on the cob and watermelon without heating up our A/C-deprived apartment.


Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe, The Best Sloppy Joes



No comments:

Post a Comment