What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Barbecue Chicken Salad with Cilantro Ranch Dressing


Ingredients:
Salad:
2 hearts of Romaine, chopped *
1 can corn
1 can black beans, rinsed
15 grape tomatoes, halved **
3-4 cooked chicken breasts, cubed or shredded
1/2-1 c. favorite barbecue sauce
mozzarella cheese, shredded

*Went with our favorite lettuce: green leaf
**I used 3 hearty Roma tomatoes

Dressing:
1 envelope Ranch dressing mix
1 c. mayonnaise *
1 c. milk
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 clove garlic **
1 lime juiced OR 2 T. lime juice

* I actually did 1/2 c. mayo and 1/2 c. sour cream. Next time I'll sub out the mayo completely.
** I used about 1 t. minced garlic

Recipe:
Dressing:
1. Place dressing ingredients into blender or food processor and combine well. Let sit for a few hours to increase flavor of dressing. *

* My blender is not very good at blending. I should put a new blender or food processor on my gift list for Mother's Day......yes. Anyways.....I just whisked everything, but the cilantro, together. Then I chopped up the cilantro into ity bity pieces and stirred it into the mix.

Salad:
1. Place lettuce in a serving bowl. Layer with corn, beans, and tomatoes.
2. Mix cooked chicken with barbecue sauce and top over salad.
3. Sprinkle top with mozzarella cheese.
4. Drizzle with dressing.

Rating: 5 of 5
Yes, it's that good. The cilantro dressing and BBQ go really, really well together. Plus, it's got all of those good veggies in it! Very similar to Katie's Mexican Salad. I will definitely be making this one again. Oh, but it does make a rather large batch, so half it and plan on making taco with the leftovers the next night.

No comments:

Post a Comment