What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Thursday, March 8, 2012

South Texas Flour Tortillas

Ingredients:
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
2 t. vegetable or olive oil
generous 3/4 c. hot milk

Recipe:
1. Heat milk in the microwave for 60 seconds. Leave it there until you need it!
2. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. Add the oil to the dry ingredients and mix together a bit.
4. Slowly mix the hot milk in until the dough ball comes away cleanly from the sides of the bowl.
5. Mix the dough for 3-4 minutes and then turn out onto floured surface and knead once or twice.
6. Divide the dough into 12 equal balls. Make an indentation in each with your finger.
7. Roll each ball into a 6-inch circle (more or less) and cook on a hot non-stick skillet or griddle. Each side with take about 30 seconds to cook.

Rating: 3 of 5
A couple of pros and cons about this recipe. I liked the taste, even though it's basically flour and salt. I've got to admit, I kind of like thin bland breads. But, with that being said, these tortillas were more like pita breads rather than thin tortillas. I don't know if it was me or the recipe, but rolling these out was a workout! I thought my rolling pin handles were going to snap off before I got the dough thin enough. I got them pretty thin, but when they cooked they turned out to be pretty thick, Too thick for my taste. Although, really good with honey on them. I'm gonna have to find a different recipe to use for enchiladas, quesadillas, etc.

Source: Scrambled Henfruit, Homemade Tortillas

No comments:

Post a Comment