What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Friday, March 2, 2012

Bird's Nest Cupcakes (i.e. Vanilla cupcakes)


There is a lot more to this recipe than I put here. I was only after the vanilla cupcakes part. But, I love the whole bird nest look. So cute and perfect for a spring or Easter party!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. granulated sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened and diced into pieces
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 c. sour cream

Recipe:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Add in butter, egg, egg yolks, vanilla and sour cream then beat ingredients together with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds until mixture is smooth (don't over-mix, if necessary, using a rubber spatula stir the batter until the flour is fully incorporated after the allotted 30 seconds).
4. Divide mixture evenly between 12 paper lined muffin cups (they should each be about 2/3 full).
5. Bake cupcakes for 20-25 minutes, until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean.
6. Allow to cool completely before frosting.

Rating: 4.5 of 5
Seriously, the best vanilla cupcakes I've ever had. I don't know if it's the kind of vanilla I used for these or if this recipe is just really that good! The vanilla presence is perfect! Not too strong, not to weak. I like the texture of the cupcake, too. Not sponge-y like the store bought king. Much more like a cornbread muffin. Honestly, these are so good by themselves that they don't need frosting. The only downside to this recipe is that it only makes 12!

Source: CookingClassy.blogspot.com, Bird's Nest Cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment