What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Friday, March 2, 2012

Creamy Chocolate Frosting


Ingredients:
1/3 c. granulated sugar
2 large egg whites
pinch table salt
12 T. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened and cut into tablespoon pieces
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled to 85-100 degrees
1/2 t. vanilla extract

Recipe:
1. Combine the sugar, egg whites, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
2. Set over a small saucepan of simmering water, and whisking constantly, cook until the mixture is slightly thickened, foamy, and registers 150 degrees on an instant read thermometer, 2-4 minutes.
3. Attach bowl to the stand mixer and fit the whisk attachment, beat at medium speed, until mixture is the consistency of shaving cream and slightly cooled, 1-3 minutes.
4. Add butter 1 piece at a time, until smooth and creamy.
5. Once all the butter has been added, pour in the cooled chocolate and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
6. Increase speed to medium-high and until light and fluffy, another 30 seconds to a minute.
7. Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes.

Rating: 3.5 of 5
This is a rich frosting, I think. Pretty easy to make, but slightly technical. I'd rather make a frosting without dancing around a thermometer. Mine didn't set right away, so I needed to put it in the fridge for a few minutes in order to use it on the cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment