What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Cinnamon Sugar Breadsticks with Cream Cheese Drizzle

Ingredients:
For the breadsticks:
2 1/4 t. yeast
1/4 c. sugar, divided
1 c. warm water, divided
1 1/2 T oil
1 egg
1/2 t. salt
2 1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. butter, melted
Cinnamon sugar mixture: 6 T. sugar and 1 t. cinnamon

For the cream cheese drizzle:
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 c. powdered sugar
1-2 T. whipping cream
1 t. vanilla

Recipe:
1. In a mixer dissolve yeast, 1/2 T. sugar, and 1/2 c. warm water. Allow yeast to proof (about 10 minutes).
2. Add in oil, egg, salt, and 1 1/2 c. flour and remaining sugar(1/4 c - 1/2 T) and water (1/2 c.). Mix until smooth.
3. Stir in remaining flour (3/4 c.) to form a soft dough. Knead until smooth and elastic.
4. Place into a greased bowl and cover. Let rise in a warm place for about 40 minutes or until doubled.
5. Punch down the dough and put onto floured counter. Roll into 8x14 rectangle.
6. Using your pizza cutter, cut into about 10 pieces.
7. Roll each strip like a snake. Then hang the dough over your finger in the middle and twist the two ends together.
8. Place on a greased cookie sheet and allow to rise for another 40 minutes or until doubled.
9. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
10. While breadsticks are baking, mix together the cream cheese drizzle ingredients. Beat until you reach a good consistency for drizzling. Place in a Ziploc bag and snip off the corner.
11. When breadsticks are done cooking, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Drizzle with cream cheese mixture.

Rating: 3 of 5
These are good, but they aren't quite as good as I was expecting. First off, I think there are some serious typos in the bread measurements, because the dough I ended up with was as if I hadn't added the remaining flour even though I had. I probably ended up adding about 2 more cups of flour until I felt like the dough reached the proper texture and consistency. So, that was a little bit of an issue, but a fixable one.
I feel like the puffiness of the bread is too much for the cinnamon sugar taste. The sweetness gets a little drowned out. But, with that being said, the bread is really fluffy and soft, which is always a plus. The cream cheese drizzle was not as good as I was hoping. I guess I just got my hopes up. I thought that this recipe would get pretty close to pretzels you get at the mall. Oh well. They're still good. I just might have too high of a bar for them right now. (P.S. Just because they're a 3 doesn't mean I didn't have at least 5 of them when they came out of the oven......)

No comments:

Post a Comment