What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pre-Baked Pizza Crusts

These are the 1 of 5.
Her little pizza is the 4 of 5

Ingredients:
1 packet yeast OR 2 1/4 t.
1 1/4 c. warm water
3 c. bread flour
1 1/2 t. sea salt *
2 T. olive oil

* I didn't have any sea salt so I just used Kosher salt

Recipe:
1. Add yeast to warm water. Mix and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
2. If using a stand mixer, use the dough hook. Mix flour, salt, and olive oil. Add yeast mixture and on medium speed, mix dough. Continue letting dough hook kneed until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
3. Line two baking sheets with parchment and dust with flour.
4. Divide dough into 16 even pieces. Tuck edges under to make 16 small balls of dough. Place each ball onto prepared baking sheets. Cover with plastic wrap and place in lukewarm oven for 45 minutes to rise.
5. After rising, roll dough out into 3-4 inch circles. Dough should not be too thin.
6. Place baking sheet in oven and preheat everything to 475 degrees F.
7. When oven and sheets have preheated, bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
8. Use immediately, store in air tight container for 3 days or freeze.
9. To use dough to make fresh pizza straight from the oven rather than pre-baked crusts, increase oven temperature to 500 degrees, and after rolling out the dough, top raw dough with sauce, cheese and toppings and bake on pizza stone for 10-15 minutes or until browned and bubbling.

Rating: 1 of 5 (adjusted 4 of 5)
First things, first. I loved working with this dough. It was so smooth and fluffy and felt like it was going to make a delicious pizza crust. I love bread flour! However, I think the temperature and cook time were way too high/long. Instead of soft little pizza crusts, they came out as hard burnt crackers (as seen in the picture). I, thankfully, saved a few just in case it didn't turn out and cooked them at 450 for 6 minutes. They turned out perfectly! So, I don't really like the recipe as is, but with the adjustments it turns out well.

Source: Out of the Box Food, Pre-baked Pizza Crusts

No comments:

Post a Comment