What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Homemade Sandwich Bread

(pre-cooked loaves. Imagine a shade or two darker.)

Ingredients:
2 c. lukewarm water
2 T. sugar
1 T. dry active yeast
2 T. butter, softened
5 1/2 c. all-purpose flour + more for kneading the dough *
1 T. kosher salt

* I made this again and used bread flour instead. It made the bread at least 5x better! Fluffier, tastier, holds together even better. Bread flour is the way to go. Also, the 5 1/2 c. makes the perfect texture. I didn't need to add any more flour when kneading. It was perfect!

Recipe: (Yields 2 standard or 1 lb. loaves)
1. Put the water and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Whisk vigorously to dissolve the sugar.
2. When sugar is dissolved toss in the yeast. Whisk again to dissolve. Walk away for the bowl for 5-10 minutes to give the yeast time to work. After 5-10 minutes, there should be a thick, creamy layer on the surface of the water.
3. Add the flour and salt into the bowl with the yeast.
4. Cut the soft butter up into a few pieces and add to the bowl. Mix well to combine the ingredients. (If using a stand mixer, use your dough hook.)
5. Knead the dough for 3-5 minutes. The dough is ready when it's formed a smooth ball that feels elastic-y when you touch it, very little of the dough sticks to the dough hook when you pull it out of the bowl, and there will be very little dough actually sticking to the sides of the bowl.
6. Round the dough up into a ball. Put it in a large, lightly greased bowl. Coat a piece of plastic wrap with a little oil. Loosely cover the bowl with it, oil side down.
7. Let it sit in a warm place for about an hour, or until it's doubled in size. If you check it after 15 minutes, you should notice that it's started to grow.
8. After about an hour, your dough should be doubled in size. Punch the dough down. Knead it a couple of times and form it into a neat ball. It should be smooth and tacky, but not sticky.
9. Sprinkle a little flour on a board. Set the dough ball on the flour. Divide the dough in half. Each half becomes one loaf.
10. Knead each half, separately, a few times. Lightly grease two one-pound loaf pans. Set each formed loaf in the pans. *
11. Set the pans in a warm place, uncovered. Let the loaves rise like this for about an hour, or until they've doubled in size.
12. About 15 minutes before your house is up, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
13. When they're done, the tops should be a nice light brown. Let them cool for 5 minutes in the pans. Then, with potholders, tip the loaves out of the pans and let them finished cooling on a rack.
14. Let the loaves cool to room temperature before slicing.

*When I form my loaves I like to flatten it out into an oval-ish shape and then roll it up. It makes a nice smooth top and transfers to the pan neatly. (Trick from Emily - who is the master of homemade bread.)

Rating: 4 of 5
To be honest, I like this recipe than my bread machine recipe for white bread. Oh no! That poor machine is going to get dumped by a laborious recipe! Crispy on the outside, incredibly moist and chewy on the inside. My kind of bread. One thing that I really like about this recipe versus my bread machine recipe is that it maintains it's shape when sliced and smeared. My other recipe practically crumbles if anything touches it. I can almost taste the salt, which I liked. I'll definitely be making this one again....in the morning probably. We REALLY like cinnamon-sugar toast in this house.

Source: The Hungry Mouse, Homemade Sandwich Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment