What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Orange Strawberry Salad with Orange Dressing

Ingredients:
Salad:
1 pkg. spring mix greens *
1 pint strawberries, sliced
1 large orange, peeled, cut into small pieces **
3 green onions, sliced
1 c. sliced almonds ***
4 T. butter
4 T. sugar

* I just used a head of green leaf lettuce. It's our favorite
** OR 3-4 clementines, cut in half
*** I thought 1 c. of almonds was WAY too much. So, I recommend 1/2 c. almonds and 2 T. butter and sugar.

Dressing:
1/2 t. grated orange peel, or orange zest
1/3. c. fresh orange juice (1-2 oranges) *
2 T. red wine vinegar
2 T. sugar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 T. dry Italian dressing mix

* OR 3-6 clementines, depending on how juicy they are

Recipe:
1. Put all salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. To make the candied almonds, mix almonds, butter and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until the butter and sugar turn to a toffee color, stir constantly. Spread on waxed paper to cool.
3. Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar or Ziploc bag and shake well.
4. Serve dressing on top of salad. Enjoy!

Rating: 4.5 of 5
Seriously, so good! I loved the dressing. I never would have thought of mixing orange juice with Italian dressing mix. But, it is delicious!!! Sweet and tangy all at the same time. Add it with the salad and BOOM! explosion of flavor! The salad itself is a salad. I mean, we've all had oranges or strawberries on lettuce. But, the oranges and strawberries combined are pretty delicious. I really liked this one. Definitely a keeper. I do think you could add chicken to this one and make a main dish out of it. It'd be pretty good....

No comments:

Post a Comment