What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Monday, March 26, 2012

Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup

Ingredients:
Yields: 2 quarts or 8 servings
2 14-oz can diced tomatoes, with juice*
1 c. finely diced celery
1 c. finely diced carrots**
1 c. finely diced onions
1 t. dried oregano OR 1 T. fresh oregano***
1 T. dried basil OR 1/4 c. fresh basil****
4 c. chicken broth*****
1/2 bay leaf******
1/2 c. flour
1 c. Parmesan cheese
1/2 c. butter
2 c. half and half, warmed OR milk, warmed
1 t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper

* I only had Italian diced tomatoes
** We have an allergy to carrots, so I didn't include carrots
*** Because of the Italian tomatoes I didn't add any oregano
**** With the Italian tomatoes I only added 1/2 T. of dried basil
*****I only put in 3 c. of chicken broth
******I 1 small bay leaf instead of a half.

Recipe:
1. Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, oregano, basil and bay leaf to a large slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.
2. About 30 minutes before serving prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes.
3. Slowly stir in 1 c. hot soup(from the slow cooker). Add another 3 c. and stir until smooth.
4. Add all in skillet back into the slow cooker. Stir and add Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt, and pepper.
5. Add additional basil and oregano if needed. Continue to cook on low for another 30 minutes or so until ready to serve.
***Can also be made on the stove top. See "Source" link for the whole recipe.***

Rating: 3.5 of 5
LaDon actually really liked this one. Surprise! I thought it was good. Best the day-of. Not so good the next day to me, but that could be because I forgot to take out the bay leaf and the soup was being overpowered by bay leaf flavor. Not my favorite. I definitely thought the canned Italian tomatoes were fine. Super good with some buttered bread dipped in.

Source: Today's Mama.com, Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment