What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Auntie Anne's Pretzels: Copycat


Ingredients:

2 c. milk
1 1/2 T. active dry yeast
6 T. brown sugar
4 T. butter, melted
4 1/2 c. flour *
2 t. fine salt
1/3 c. baking soda
3 c. warm water
coarse salt 8 T. butter, melted in a shallow dish **

*I used bread flour and it was AMAZING!
** I actually only used 4 T. butter and had just enough

Recipe:
1. Warm up the milk in the microwave or on the stove for just about 1 1/2 minutes. It should be about 110 degrees.
2. Stir in the yeast and let it sit for about 3 minutes.
3. Add the butter and sugar. Combine.
4. Add the flour about 1 cup at a time and then add the fine salt. *
5. Knead for about 10 minutes with a stand mixer, or by hand. Put in greased bowl and cover with greased cling wrap. Let rise for 1 hour in warm place until doubled in size.
6. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
7. Divide dough into 12 lumps. Roll them all out as thin as you can. **
8. Combine the warm water and baking soda in a wide bowl.***
9. Form the dough into pretzel shapes, then dip in the baking soda water. Place on a greased baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt. ****
10. Bake for about 7-11 minutes or until browned. Serve with cheese sauce.
11. Melt the butter. Roll pretzels in butter and then dip in cinnamon-sugar mixture until coated.

*I actually added about 1 1/2 c. of flour, mixed, added the 2 t. salt, mixed, and then continued on with the rest of the flour.
** Since we have little mouths, I decided to go for a more portion friendly size and divided the dough into 24 pieces.
*** I used a pie plate.
****For the pretzels that we wanted to cover with cinnamon and sugar I didn't sprinkle salt on them.

Rating: 5 of 5
Soft, fluffy, tasty, easy, and so close to Auntie Anne's. I couldn't help but shouting out every few minutes, "These are SO GOOD!" While Ally would throw in, "Oh my goodness! They are perfect!" And Daniel just took his cinnamon-sugar covered pretzel and dipped it in more cinnamon and sugar. Seriously, so good! I just don't know that I've ever had a more delicious soft pretzel!

Source: Yammie's Noshery, Auntie Anne's Pretzels

No comments:

Post a Comment