What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Navajo Tacos


Ingredients:
Meat mixture:
1 onion, chopped
1 lb. ground beef or turkey
3/4 c. water
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 15-oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
1 16-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
up to 1 T. chili powder, optional

Fry bread:
3 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 1/2 c. warm water
2 c. vegetable oil, for frying

Toppings:
lettuce
tomato
sour cream
salsa
refried beans
shredded cheese
avocado
cilantro

Recipe:
For meat:
1. Crumble together onion and ground beef. Cook over medium-high heat until meat it cooked through.
2. Add 3/4 c. water, taco seasoning, corn, and black beans. Allow the mixture to simmer while you make the fry bread.
3. Add additional chili powder, if desired.

For fry bread:
1. In a medium size bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
2. Add water and stir together. Dough may be slightly sticky.
3. Pour the vegetable oil into a medium size saucepan and heat the oil over medium heat.
4. Divide dough into 6 pieces. On a generously floured surface, pat the dough pieces into a flat round shape about 5-6 inches across.
5. When oil is hot, carefully place dough round into the hot oil until the bottom side is golden brown. With a metal set of tongs, flip the round, and cook the other side until puffy and golden brown. Remove the bread and place onto a paper towel lined plate.
6. Pile meat and toppings on the fry bread and enjoy!

Rating: 3.5 of 5
Ok, first off, I thought the fry bread was really good. Definitely hit the spot for me. But, the meat sauce is not what I normally have for Navajo Tacos. When I think Navajo tacos, I think a bean and meat chili type topping. So, the fry bread, great. Meat, not so much and need to hunt for the perfect recipe.

Source: Recipe Shoebox, Navajo Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment