What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Monday, April 23, 2012

Red Velvet Brownies

Ingredients:
1/2 c. butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla extract, divided
1 1/4 c. all purpose flour, sifted
1/4 t. salt
3 T. unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1 T. + 2 t. red food coloring *

* I had less than 1 t. of red, so we went for blue. And even then, I only had 2 t. of blue, so then I just added 1 T. water.

Recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8x8 inch square pan and line all sides with parchment paper.
2. Sift the flour and salt together in a bowl. Stir until mixed
3. Mix the cocoa powder, 1 t. vanilla extract, and red food coloring together until it becomes a smooth paste. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
5. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Add the remaining 1 t. vanilla extract. Beat well.
7. Add in the cocoa powder mixture and beat until batter is uniformly red (or blue-ish green!). Set the electric mixer aside.
8. Using a hand whisk, add in the flour and stir gently until just combined. Do not over mix.
9. Spread the batter in the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached to it.
10. Cool for an hour in the pan on a wire rack.
11. Remove from the pan, cut into 9-inch squares and frost.

Rating: 4 of 5
I'm not sure what to say other than these were good. Soft and moist. Delicious. Ally and I really liked them.


Source: Food Wanderings in Asia, Red Velvet Brownies

No comments:

Post a Comment