What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Carne Asada Soft Tacos


Ingredients:
Meat:
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. lime juice
1/2 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
1 lb. carne asada beef or flank steak *
1/2 c. finely chopped white onion
2 cloves minced garlic
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
4 soft tortilla breads or tortillas

Guacamole:
2 avocados, peeled and seeded
1 T. lime juice
1/4 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. blacker pepper
1 clove garlic, minced (I'm throwing this one in there)

Toppings:
3/4 c. corn
1/2 c. finely diced red bell pepper
cilantro, chopped
cheese, shredded
sour cream
salsa

* We had some Wal-Mart ribeyes that we had purchased a long time ago (a mistake, because they are not good as a steak), but thought I'd give them a try in a taco. Besides, I had to use that meat)

Recipe:
1. Mix the corn and red bell pepper together. Set aside.
Meat:
1. Place oil, lime juice, cumin, salt, and pepper into a medium bowl, whisking to combine.
2. Place beef, onions, and garlic into a large Ziploc bag and pour lime mixture inside bag. Close bag and with hands, massage beef with marinade to coat evenly.
3. Place in refrigerator and marinade for 1 hour.
4. Heat 2 T. olive oil in grill pan over medium heat. Grill beef until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes.
5. Cut thin slices against the grain or on the bias.
6. Serve in warm tortillas with desired toppings.

Guacamole:
1. Place avocado, lime juice, salt, pepper (and garlic) into a medium bowl. Mash with a fork until well combined.

Rating: 5 of 5
Despite the cheap-o steak meat, these turned out fantastic! The meat tasted just like carne asada in a restaurant. So good. The guacamole, I've got to give a good score to as well. Simple. Tasty. Easy. The meat is super easy to prepare and cook as is everything in this recipe! I will definitely be making this one again!

Source: Picky Palate, Carne Asada Soft Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment