What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala

Ingredients:
5 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 large yellow onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. freshly, finely grated ginger *
1 jalapeno, stemmed, sliced in half and seeds removed
1 29-oz can tomato puree
1 1/2 c. plain yogurt **
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. lemon juice
2 T. Garam Masala
1 T. cumin
1/2 T. paprika
2 t. salt, or to taste
3/4 t. cinnamon
3/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
1-3 t. cayenne pepper***
2 bay leaves
1 c. heavy cream****
1/2 T cornstarch
prepared long grain white rice or Basmati rice
chopped cilantro, for serving

*I just used my ground ginger
** I had vanilla flavored on hand
*** This depends on how much kick you want in your food. I went for 2ish t.
**** Um....COMPLETELY forgot to put the cream in! Just now realizing this two days after making.

Recipe:
1. In a large mixing bowl combine chopped onions, minced garlic, grated ginger, sliced jalapeno, tomato puree, plain yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, Garam Masala, cumin, paprika, salt, cinnamon, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir until combined.
2. Pour half of sauce mixture into a large slow cooker then add in diced chicken. Cover chicken with the remaining sauce.
3. Add in 2 bay leaves. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on low heat for 8 hours OR high heat for 4.
4. In a mixing bowl, whisk together heavy cream and cornstarch. Pour mixture into slow cooker and gently stir.
5. Allow mixture to cook 20 minutes while you prepare the rice. Remove bay leaves and sliced jalapeno and serve warm over rice and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.

Rating: 4 of 5
Based on taste. If it were on just ease, then it would be a 5. I mean, seriously, how does it get better than a crock pot?? Okay, so considering I completely spaced the cream, I thought this dish was super delicious. I've gotta think that the cream might tone down the amount of "kick" this dish has. It taste just like authentic Tikka Masala (well, at least the one time I've had it. There are a lot of Indians in our neck of the woods). Just from past eating experiences, everything Indian always tastes better with pita bread, which I didn't have time to make, so this dish would have been even better! If you're new to Indian food, then this is a good starter dish. Also, I loved how it made our apartment smell! So many good spices in this one. Um....delicious.

Source: Cooking Classy, Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala

No comments:

Post a Comment