What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Homemade Magic Shell


Ingredients:
1 1/4 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. coconut oil, measured when solid

Recipe:
1. Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave about 1 minute.
2. Allow to sit a few minutes to allow the heat of the oil to melt the chocolate chips and then stir until smooth. It will be runny.
3. Pour into a bottle.*
4. Store in the refrigerator, although it is likely that the magic shell with stay liquid in the summer. **
5. To serve, heat the glass bottle (open cap) in the microwave for 30 seconds until liquid. Stir and continue heating at 30 second intervals if not liquid after the first 30 seconds. Pour over your favorite ice cream and in a few seconds you will see magic!

*Site recommends a glass bottle if you're going to refrigerate and then re-heat.
** Coconut oil is a solid at 76 degrees F and below and liquid 77 degrees F and up.

Rating: 3.5 of 5
Yeah, this stuff really works like the real Magic Shell! It's great! I used semi-sweet, but I don't think I will do that again unless I add some peanut butter in there too. I'm much more of a milk chocolate type of gal. So, next time I do semi-sweet I think I'll add in 2 T. peanut butter for the Reese's taste. One thing I did notice about this mixture is that it is much thinner than the real stuff. This, I think, could be solved by simply cutting back on some of the oil. It seemed like too much to me. I'll have to play around with it.

Source: Alpha Mom, Magic Shell

No comments:

Post a Comment