What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Monday, April 23, 2012

Graham Crackers

Ingredients:
2 c. whole-wheat flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking powder
1 large egg
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c. honey
2-3 T. milk
additional milk for glaze
cinnamon-sugar (optional)

Recipe:
1. In a mixing bowl, combine whole wheat flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder.
2. In a separate bowl, beat egg until light, then add oil, honey, and 2 T. milk.
3. Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients until you have a fairly stiff dough, adding additional milk if necessary. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 1 hour (or longer, if it's more convenient).
4. Preheat your oven to 375 degree F.
5. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead gently until it holds together.
6. Roll dough out until it's about 1/16-inch thick; make sure rolling surface is well floured or you'll have trouble transferring crackers to baking sheet.
7. Cut dough into 3-inch squares (or cut out using cookie cutters), prick each square several times with a fork, and place on lightly greased cookie sheets.
8. Brush the tops with milk, sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar if you're so inclined, and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crackers are lightly browned.
9. Remove crackers from oven, transfer to a wire cooling rack, and cool completely. 

Rating: 1 of 5
In theory these would be great. In practice, they didn't pan out. I put the first batch in for 15 minutes and they came out as black as I've ever seen something bake! They were terrible! For the second batch I put them in for 10 minutes, which resulted in a nice brown graham cracker color but they were hard as a rock. So, this recipe needs to working on. It would be great to get it to the point that I could get them to a point in which they were edible. It'd be nice to just bake graham crackers instead of having to buy them. 

Source: Culinary Adventures in the Kitchen, Graham Crackers

No comments:

Post a Comment