What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Monday, April 23, 2012

Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Enchiladas



Ingredients:
2 lb. beef chuck pot roast
1 t. cumin
1 t. chili powder
1 t. garlic salt
1 t. Mexican oregano*
1 pinch coarse salt **
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 4-oz can diced green chilies
1 10-oz can hot enchilada sauce***
1 20-oz can mild enchilada sauce
10 6-inch flour tortillas
1/2 c. cilantro, chopped
2 c. shredded Monterey jack cheese

*I just used the oregano I had on hand
**I used Kosher salt as my coarse salt
*** Ok, so I didn't have the time to hunt down the cans of green chilies or enchiladas sauces. So, instead I bought 4 8-oz cans of Ro Tel's Zesty Tomato and Green Chili Sauce Original. This combo made for an alteration in preparation, but I think it still turned out fine.

Recipe:
1. Arrange the beef in the slow cooker and toss all the spices in, cover and cook on the lowest setting for 6 hours. *
2. Shred with two forks. Place in a bowl and add the diced chilies. Combine **
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
4. Mix the two enchilada sauces together in a bowl and pour a small amount in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish.
5. Evenly divide the beef mixture and cilantro at the edge of each tortillas; roll up tightly and layer in the dish seam side down. Continue until the dish is filled.
6. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top.
7. Place in the oven for about 40 minutes, until the cheese is browned and bubbly.
8. Let sit for about 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with cilantro.

*I, like usual, cut the time in half and cooked on high. I actually, cooked on high with all the spices for 2 hours and then added 2 cans of tomato/chili sauce and cooked for another 1.5 hours.
** This step is skipped because of the sauce situation mentioned earlier.

Rating: 4 of 5
These were pretty good, but they weren't great. Maybe it's because I made some changes in the recipe, but they weren't crazy drastic changes. I think here's my problems with the recipe: I didn't like using pot roast as the meat. It was a little tougher than I anticipated. I loved the cilantro, but I thought the enchiladas were a little skinny. Next time I think I'll add some corn, beans, a little bit of rice, and some others to give it a bigger punch. Also, if you're in a hurry, this dish definitely doesn't need to be in the oven for 40 minutes. I actually only had mine in for 25ish. That happens when this are thrown together hot. I did like the tomato/chili sauce I used. It was the perfect amount of spicy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment