What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Acini Di Pepe Salad aka: Frog Eye Salad

Ingredients:
1 lb. Acini Di Pepe or Quinoa
1 c. Sugar
2 T. flour
1/2 t. salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 c. marshmallows (optional)
1 3/4 c. pineapple juice (from drained pineapple chunks, tidbits and crushed)
1 20-oz. can crushed pineapple
1 20-oz. can pineapple chunks
1 20-oz can pineapple tidbits
3 cans mandarin oranges
1 9- or 12-oz container of whipped topping
any additional fruit you wish to add (I could see strawberry slices being delicious...)

Recipe:
1. Cook macaroni (aka: acini di pepe) in boiling, salted water until tender. Rinse in cold water, drain and cool.
2. In saucepan combine sugar, flour, salt, beaten eggs, pineapple juice and marshmallows. Cook, stirring until thick and smooth. Cool.
3. Add the sauce to the noodles with the fruit. Chill in refrigerator. When ready to serve, add whipped topping and stir.

Rating: 3 of 5
So, growing up in the Mormon culture, I feel like Frog Eye Salad was at every ward activity. And honestly, I never tried it because the name grossed me out.....I mean, seriously...frog eyes? Anyway, one of the girls in our ward made this salad for our salad recipe night and I finally got up the nerve to try it. And guess what!? I actually liked it. The texture of the pasta took me a few bits to adjust to, but I really like whipped cream and mandarin oranges. I like it, but I don't think I will ever make this recipe because LaDon would HATE the texture of the salad. Sad:(

Source: Robyn Shelton

No comments:

Post a Comment