What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Monday, October 17, 2011

Beef Jerky

Ingredients:
2 1/2 lbs. Lean (90%) ground beef
3 t. NON-iodized salt
1 1/2 t. Accent
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/3 t. crushed or ground red pepper
1 1/2 T. meat tenderizer
1/2 T. black pepper
2 T. brown sugar, heaping
1/4 c. liquid smoke
1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce

Recipe:
1. Mix salt, accent, garlic, red pepper, tenderizer, black pepper, and brown sugar together in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, layer spice mixture between layers of raw beef. Mix the meat and spices together by hand until spices mixed well throughout.
3. Take a ball, about the size of a man's fist, and place between two pieces of wax paper. With a rolling pin, roll to about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick and, roughly, in the shape of the dehydrator tray.
4. Transfer meat to tray rack and coat the top with the liquid smoke mixture. Repeat this step until all trays are filled, or meat is used.
5. Use dehydrator according to directions.

**Time for meat to dehydrate will vary according to number of trays on dehydrator and whether or not it has a fan. A dehydrator without a fan will take about 12-18 hours to complete and trays will need to be rotated every couple of hours(no need to rotate in middle of night). With a fan, a small batch will take about 6 hours.**

**If you don't have a dehydrator, the jerky can be dried in the oven as well. Set the oven to 140 degrees, and place the meat on racks. Air needs to circulate. Place a pan under the rack to catch the drippings.**

Rating: 5 of 5
I'm not sure if this is an acquired taste or not just because I grew up with it. I think it's awesome! One thing I really like about this recipe vs. store bought beef jerky, is that it is much easier to chew and doesn't get stuck in your teeth as much. Also, you can make it as thick or thin as you like it. I like mine practically crispy. If you're too scared to make a batch, then I'll make some for you and you can sample it! Seriously, delicious! Oh, and as a bonus, the house smells soooo good for a day.

Source: my mom

No comments:

Post a Comment