What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Texas Caviar or Bean Dip

I've seen this recipe by a few names, but either way you call it, it's delicious!
Ingredients:
1 15-oz can black beans, drained
1 15-oz can corn, drained
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 avocado, chopped*
1 c. cilantro, chopped
1/2 c. green onion, chopped
1 package dry Italian dressing mix, prepared as instructions direct **
1/4 c. vinegar
3 T. water
1/2 c. oil

* I left out the avocados this time. Honestly, I don't really think they add much other than a mushy factor. Avocados, by nature, are rather bland and actually absorb the taste of the flavors it's around.
** I actually half the vinegar, water, and oil, but keep the full amount of dressing mix. I do this just because as the dressing sits overnight or for a few hours, the tomatoes tend to run. So....when I half it the dip isn't soupy by morning.

Recipe:
1. Dump all ingredients except for dressing in a medium bowl.
2. Mix Italian dressing together in a dressing vase or ziploc bag. To do so, pour in 1/4 c. vinegar and 3 T. water. Add the dressing and shake well. Add the oil to the mixture and mix again.
3. Pour dressing over vegetables in bowl. Mix together.
4. Refrigerate approximately 1 hour before serving. Serve with tortilla or pita chips.

Rating: 5 of 5
Honestly, this is one of our favorites! It can be put together in less than 10 minutes and, I think, is pretty healthy. Love it! Eat it! I do think a little garlic might be a tasty addition...or maybe just a hint of lime. I'm not sure....I'll have to try that next time.

Source: um...not sure, but I've seen it everywhere. Today I'll site Ann Griggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment