What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sour Cream Salsa Chicken

Ingredients:
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 c. salsa*
2 T. cornstarch
1/4 c. sour cream

* I used the generic Wal-Mart brand medium salsa

Recipe:
1. Spray the crockpot with cooking spray. Add the chicken breasts. Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the chicken. Top with the salsa.
2. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. *
3. When ready to serve, remove the chicken from the pot. Place about 2 T. cornstarch in a small amount of water and stir well. Stir the cornstarch mixture into salsa sauce. **
4. Stir in a 1/4 c. sour cream. Serve over chicken.

* As with most crockpot recipes, you can speed this up by cooking on High for 3-4 hours.
** You can substitute cornstarch with Minute Tapioca(says on the box how much you will need) or all-purpose flour (double the amount of cornstarch you would use).

*** So, I followed the recipe until it came time to remove the chicken. I let it cook for 7ish hours, took the chicken out and shredded it, then put it back in the crockpot for a half hour. After 30 minutes I stirred in the 1/4 c. sour cream. So rather than ending up with chicken and salsa, I just made a creamy/spicy chicken spread. ***

Rating: 4 of 5
We really liked this recipe they way I cooked it. We had it in tortillas and called it a taco night. This is super good with the Texas Caviar/Bean Dip in a tortilla. You can definitely taste the taco seasoning and salsa in this chicken. So...make sure you like taco seasoning and that you put in a salsa that you like! Daniel loved it...of course. I also loved it because it's super easy. Crockpots are my favorite.

Source: Slowandsimple.com, Sour Cream Salsa Chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment